Monday, July 4, 2011

The Fourth of July!

I got a little behind the eight ball with everything that happened yesterday and didn't get My First Day post out until today - sorry!

So much has happened, so fast. I had a really hard time getting to sleep last night. Peggy Mom put me in my kennel around 9:30. I sang her a puppy opera for a while before finally going to sleep. But, I'm in a strange house, a new crate, no brothers or sisters - or my real mom. I woke up about 11:30 p.m. and started a new song so Peggy would know I was awake. She got up and took me outside to "busy" - that means pee (or poop, depending) in service dog lingo. I obliged her and she took me back to my kennel. Now that's not what I had in mind.

So I started another opera, only this one would be louder and better than the first one. Daddy Joe wasn't very happy about this particular song so Peggy Mom grabbed my crate and we headed to the guest room. Sister Leiden came with us just to make sure everything was all right. I was still in the mood for some singing so I proceeded to continue my little concert for about forty-five minutes. I couldn't seem to get anyone's attention, so I finally fell asleep. I woke up about 6:30 a.m. Out we went - it's this busy thing again.

Soon is was time to feed the horses. I'm getting really good at this part, waiting while my Peggy Mom fixes the feed buckets and gets everyone fed. Then it's breakfast for all the dogs, except I wasn't hungry, just too excited about everything that's going to happen today.

Soon we were loaded up in Daddy Joe's red truck, headed to the Geneva parade. Since I was going out in public, I wore my New Horizons Service Dogs vest - just like the big dogs. Only mine is a little too big. We tied a knot in it but it still looked silly. I don't care, I'm proud to wear it.

After we got to the parade, we saw a whole bunch of people. Everyone was lined up on the side of the road, waiting for the show to begin. We went for a little walk down the road and everyone thought I was in the parade. They kept calling to me, telling me how cute I was. Some people even wanted to pet me. Peggy Mom explained to them that I am a service puppy and this is my first day in official training. I'm going to have a very important job when I get all grown up.

We saw lots of people that we knew so there were lots of people that wanted to know all about me. I got my picture taken a lot!

When we got back to the truck, I was ready for a little nap. It was really hot out so first Daddy Joe got me some water and then I got a blanket and took a little snooze. Didn't stop the people from the parade from say, "oh, look at the cute puppy!" Are all people this crazy? Have they never seen a puppy before?

After the parade we went to a picnic. There were six other dogs there! I'm not afraid of anyone, so I marched right up to say hi. Everyone was really friendly and glad to see me.

We had a big lunch - Peggy Mom brought mine from home but I helped myself to some of the other dogs lunch - theirs looked and tasted a lot better than mine. After lunch, back to sleep for a long nap. That felt really good. I'm not supposed to be on the furniture but this coach sure was comfy!

When I woke up, we went home. Daddy Joe decided to take a nap, so I figured, why not, I'll just have a short one.

So far so good, I'm trying real hard to be the best girl I can be. Everyone really likes me (except maybe Leiden and I'm working hard to get on her good side). Talk to you later...

No comments:

Post a Comment