Wednesday, March 21, 2012

A service dog’s view of Atlanta


Monday March 19, 2012

Well I've already given you the scoop on my first flight. I thought I'd also share some thoughts on traveling in Atlanta as a dog, especially a service dog.

The Marriott Marquis was very accommodating. We had no problems or questions regarding my presence. No place to potty, however. And, the service staff had no idea where we might be able to find a small park or some grassPeggy mom took me out to the flower bed in front and there was a place in the back that had mulch. I didn't mind number one there but I wasn't doing number two. We had to find another spot for that across the street in an area that was mostly dirt and broken bottles. Worked for me though. We were on the 36th floor so the first night when I had to go really bad at 3 a.m., Peggy mom had to get dressed and take me out. She tried to make me go in the bath tub - very weird for me because no one ever asked me to do that before. I really didn't know what she wanted and it just didn't make sense. She even put down a puppy pad but I've never been taught to use one. My whole life so far everyone has been telling me to go outside. Now all of a sudden, they want something else. I'm sticking with what I know.

The hotel was hosting a convention called Momocon. Not sure what that means but there were hundreds of young people dressed in really strange, and in some cases I'm talking totally weird costumes. Peggy mom says every generation has their "thing." I was fascinated but not scared.  Some of them were dressed like animals with ears and tails. I liked the tails, they looked like my skinny toy but Peggy mom wouldn't let me have one. A lot of the "momos" wanted to pet me and every time I went anywhere they would say, "ooh, a doggy" like they've never seen one. I was very popular.

After Peggy moms meeting, we went for a really long walk. There was a parade where everyone was wearing green!  They even made the water in the fountains green. I drank some and it still tasted like water to me. 

We went to the Atlanta Underground but didn't stay long. Then we walked over to the CNN studios. First we were going to have lunch and then go on the tour. We wanted to eat at a restaurant called Don Juan's Cantina only they wouldn't let me come in. That's the first time someone said I wasn't allowed to come in. Even the manager said I wasn't allowed. Peggy mom got really mad and asked for their card.  Teresa friend was trying to keep everyone calm. Finally a nice man named Armando came over and said, no problem, we can come in. He did say that some people don't know about service dogs. Seems to me like they should do a better job of training people about what I do and why. Peggy mom said she was going to write a letter to Ted Turner. I think he owns the place or something. I didn't like that restaurant anyway. They have these really ugly and uncomfortable iron bases on their tables so I didn't want to go under the table and Teresa friend didn't want me to lie in the aisle. I don't think we will ever go there again. 

We never did go on the tour because you had to pay we thought it was free. Then we found a nice park and went over to the Coca Cola  place. There was a long line and it cost too much too.  We did meet a nice man in a wheel chair and I got my picture taken with him. He was nice. I hope I get someone like him as my real person.

We didn't go to the aquarium either. It was way too hot out and very, very busy. So we just walked around a lot more. My feet were killing me. I never walked on so much concrete in my life.  I don't know how city dogs do it.  I guess they just get used to it. 

Eventually we went back to the hotel for a much needed rest.  Then back out again.  We went and had some snacks (well Peggy mom and Teresa friend did).  I had to eat dog food. 

We did go to the top of the Westin Peach Tree Plaza up a glass elevator for 72 stories!!! My Peggy mom was really scared but not me!  We had a great view of the city from the top.  Then, back to the hotel for a good nights sleep.  I tried to sleep in the bed but got kicked out for taking up too much room. 

We were up very early on Sunday morning to go home.  I went in another cab, had to go through security again at the airport.  Again, they patted me down but everyone was really nice.  This time we got to have a whole row on the plane to ourselves!  I really got to stretch out.  Finally we were home and I think Ill sleep for a week.  Chow!

No comments:

Post a Comment