Wednesday, March 21, 2012

My first plane ride


Friday March 16, 2013

Today was the first time I ever flew on a plane. Wow there's a lot to do to get ready. My Peggy mom had to pack her clothes, put my food in separate baggies, make sure I had my vest and my I'd.  Then we had to drive to the airport and park the car. The place where we parked sends a little bus around to pick people up and I had to ride on the bus!  At first I wasn't so sure, but it was fun. When we got to the airport we had to get into a box that took us to a different place from. Where we got in. Then. We had to wait in a line so Peggy mom could drop off her suitcase. Lots of people were talking to us like they've never seen a dog at the airport before.

Security was fun. They let Peggy mom go in a shorter line so we didn't have to wait too long. They we went through this weird thing that beeped. They made us go back through it and start over. This time I had to sit and stay while Peggy mom went through by herself. She didn't make it beep so I guess it was me.  Sure enough, when I went through it beeped again.  They told Peggy mom they were going to have to "pat me down" - whatever that means. Then this guy in a uniform came over and petted me on my vest. I like getting patted down. 

Then we rode on a people mover that took us from the main airport to the place where we were going to get on the plane. The doors closed right in our face so we thought we were going to have to wait. Then they opened again, like magic, and we got on. It was hard to stand up. A little girl wanted to pet me but Peggy mom said no I was working". Working!  I thought we were going somewhere to have fun. I like meeting new people and she wouldn't let me play with anyone!  I'm not sure I want to go the airport again. 

We waited a while for our plane. Then they actually let us get on first - cool!  I walked down this long tunnel and then had to get on the plane. I was a little afraid but Peggy mom came with me so. I figured it was okay.

First we sat near the window.  There was a lady sitting on the aisle who didn't seem very friendly but talked to us a little.l. She said she wanted to bring her dog but it was a little one. I guess she doesn't realize that I'm a service dog and have a special job in life. Then an man came and told Peggy mom she was in the wrong seat. Oops!  We sat in row 10 and we were supposed to be in row 20. The flight attendant man said we better stay up toward the front so another really nice man went to row 20 and let us stay in his seat. Only it was really uncomfortable. There wasn't anywhere for me to go where I wasn't in the way. I was half out in the aisle and lots of people were getting on the plane. They almost stepped on my tail!  Peggy mom found a spot behind the last row of first class seats. Problem was I had to go in backwards.  I still wanted to lie in the aisle and the flight attendant made me move. Then Peggy mom had to move again so she could be closer to me.  The grumpy lady I mentioned earlier was the one who had to give up her seat and she wasn't very happy. She showed her disgust by picking imaginary dog hair off her slacks. You should see Peggy moms pants - they are covered! 

Take off was no problem and then I took a good nap for about an hour or so. Landing was a little different - I was really nervous when I heard those engines reverse and the plane touched down.  I was really panting.  I was really happy to get off the plane and back into the airport.

I've never seen so many people in one place. We had to go to baggage claim to find Peggy moms luggage and it was a pretty long way. We had to find the elevator and then ride a little train. It went really fast. When it stopped we got off at the wrong spot. I was confused what door we were supposed to go out of and then we had to get right back on.

Finally we got to baggage claim. I was fascinated watching the luggage go round and round. Peggy mom found her luggage and then we went to the restroom and waited for our friend Teresa. Speaking of restrooms, now that's a whole different story. First of all, they arent places where I get to go "busy". Only people "go busy" and then wash their hands. I don't like the small stalls so I try and stay outside.  Whepeggy mom figured this out, she started going into the larger handicapped stalls. Probably a good idea any way since that's where my real person will have to go.

You should know that the Atlanta airport actually has a dog walk right outside of baggage claim. There's not much grass though so its not very interesting. Plus, I didn't see any other dogs there.  Boring.

Then. We caught a taxi - actually a mini van and drove to the hotel. I had a whole row of seats to myself. I've been in a hotel before so this is old hat to me. I am learning a lot about traveling though. One thing I've discovered is that most places really don't have facilities for dogs.  Helpfully this won't be a problem for my real person.  I'll check back in soon!  Chow!

Peggy moms note:
Sienna  is right. The challenges for a person with disabilities who also has a dog are many.  Although the airport, airline and hotel personnel are very accommodating, the facilities just don't have enough services for dogs. The airplane really doesn't have a good systematic way to reassign seats when the traveler has a larger size dog, like sienna. And, there really isn't a good place for a dog to be so that they are out of the way so as not to interfere with other travelers. We were permitted to board first which was really nice. However, the downside to that is then sienna had to wait for the balance of the plane to load. Upon reflection, I think I'd still get on first, find my seat, get my carry ons stored and then head to the back of the plane and wait in the galley area until the plane is fully loaded. I would then head to my seat just as the plane is ready to leave.

Again, the hotel staff is very accommodating but they just aren't prepared to have a dog as a guest. There's no area designated where a dog can relieve themselves. Sienna had to piddle in the flower bed out front and we had to find a desolate patch of dirt about a block away for "poopy busy."

I'm learning more about what a person with disabilities has to do deal with when they travel or eat out or try to do anything with a service dog in tow. Sometimes it isn't easy. And I can only imagine how much more complicated it would be if I was in a wheelchair or otherwise handicapped.



No comments:

Post a Comment